Wednesday, March 10, 2010

a couple new recipes

Last night I tried making curry. I don't have access to interesting ingredients like kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass so I picked and chose ingredients from a few online recipes and here is what I came up with.


Green Curry with Chicken

1 14 oz can coconut milk
1T green curry paste
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
2T fish sauce
2T brown sugar
1 small can bamboo shoots
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c frozen peas
1/3 c chicken broth

In a large saucepan combine coconut milk with a tablespoon of green curry paste. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add chicken, fish sauce, brown sugar, bamboo shoots, red bell pepper, peas, and chicken broth. Simmer until chicken is cooked, about 10-15 minutes. You can change the amounts of curry, sugar, and fish sauce to suit your taste. I garnished it with a bit of cilantro and served it over plain white rice.




Last week I made breakfast burritos. They were very easy to put together and I froze several for later. When Eric starts working days again I'll make sure to keep the freezer stocked with these so he can just grab one or two in the morning and I won't have to get up at 5am :) The next step will be trying to make my own tortillas. The amounts are estimates because I didn't measure.


Breakfast Burritos

12 tortillas
1 pound sausage (I made turkey sausage, recipe below)
10 eggs
1 1/2 cups salsa
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
extra chile peppers for Eric's

Cook sausage until browned. Add eggs and stir until cooked. Stir in salsa. Place mixture on warm tortilla, top with cheese, and roll. If you freeze them a minute in the microwave is about all it needs to reheat or you can put several on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.


 Turkey Sausage

1 pound ground turkey
1/2t nutmeg
1/2t sage
1/2t thyme
1t salt
1/8t cayenne

Combine and cook. Can be crumbled or formed into patties.

No comments: