Sunday, January 29, 2012

2012

On January 1st I would have told you this was going to be a great year. We were starting our year off with a trip home to Oregon to enjoy a few weeks with family and announce our exciting news. We found out on December 16th that we would be adding to our family this summer. Or so we hoped. I was trying to figure out how to hide my growing belly until we were ready to surprise everyone.




We also had lots of plans for the kids like soccer and swim lessons and camping, Anika is learning to read and may go off to school in the fall. Eric had planned a couple of tests to further his career and I am just getting settled with my new job as a breastfeeding peer counselor with WIC. There was a lot to look forward to.

The drive to Oregon went well and we saw some good friends on our way up. The weather even cooperated with the mountain pass. The kids and the dog did very well on the long drive. We spent an evening in Santa Monica and enjoyed the sunset at the pier.











A couple days after we arrived in Oregon my husband received a phone call from work letting him know that plans had been changed and he would be deploying soon. Well, there went some big plans for this spring and summer. We're still waiting on the details like when, where, and how long. It was unexpected, but that's the way things go in the military.

The visit in Oregon went well. Lots of food and games and hanging out with family. We even were there for a couple birthday parties. Eric and I got to go out on a date one evening. The weather didn't cooperate with Eric and Anika's ski plans, but Eric got one day of skiing in before it was time for us to head home. The season started late and the snow started falling the week we were leaving.





The drive home wasn't quite as pleasant and we hit a snowstorm near Mt. Shasta that slowed us down. We made it safely home though and started preparing for the normal work week.





The Monday after we got home I had my first midwife appointment. I was just over 9 weeks along and praying that all was going well. I was a nervous wreck after last year's miscarriage and worried that my lack of morning sickness was a bad sign. They don't normally do an ultrasound at the first appointment, but they were happy to do one for me considering my history. Unfortunately my instincts were right and the baby had stopped developing and didn't have a heartbeat. My heart was broken again. It still doesn't seem real as we wait for something to happen. I chose to hold off on medical intervention to see if my body would do what it needs to and now a week later nothing has changed.

Now we are spending the last week of January with head colds that are keeping us from enjoying the lovely sunshine here in New Mexico. It has to get better though, right? I'm starting to paint the master bathroom to give myself something to do, my job is going well, the kids have been doing a little school at home and loving it, Emily's birthday is coming up and I have a yellow party to plan. Eric and Anika went off looking for snow today to get Anika that ski lesson they have been trying for all month so I hope they are having fun.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Ministry said...

I found some images of your beautiful miscarried baby at

http://lostinnocentsorthodox.blogspot.com/p/photographs.html

I am preparing a training resource for clergy to support those who have lost a child through miscarriage. Would you be willing to allow us to use your photos? Thank you for your consideration and know we want to express our sympathy. Jeannie Hannemann Elizabeth Ministry Founder www.elizabethministry.com